Date Of Post: 22 Dec, 2017
Bangalore: The BMRCL to receive the first set of intermediate cars manufactured by Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) in the last week of January 2018, it said.
On Thursday, Mahendra Jain, MD, BMRCL (Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd.), inspected the facility manufacturing new cars, which are at ‘various stages of manufacture’.
- As per the contract schedule, the first unit of 3 cars for conversion was to be delivered to BMRCL in June 2018, a BMRCL release said.
- A release said, however, with ‘concerted efforts’ put in by BEML & BMRCL, the first set of three cars will be delivered in the last week of January.
- The BMRCL has to get approval of the regulatory authorities concerned prior to starting commercial operations of 6-coach metro trains.
- Initially, BMRCL is likely to operate six-coach trains only during peak hours.
- The release said,”BEML has assured regular supply of three car units from May/June 2018 at the rate of at least two units per month and conversion of the entire fleet of 50 trains into six-car trains in 2019.”
Each Train To Undergo Safety Tests
- After integration of additional coaches, each train has to undergo safety tests, Jain said.
- Jain said,”There is requirement of carrying out a trial run for two to three months. These safety tests will be carried out at night. We will also see whether these test could be advanced to facilitate commercial operations of six-coach trains.”
Image Credit: Namma Metro Bengaluru – Facebook