Date of Post : 26 July, 2017
Tiruchi: The first portion of the track doubling project being executed from Ponmalai in Tiruchi to Thanjavur has been completed.
With the 2nd rail line in the 19-km long stretch from Ponmalai station to Solagampatti station having been laid along with completion of other works, this section is ready for statutory inspection by the Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS), Bengaluru, on August 2.
- 5 major bridges & 38 minor bridges have been constructed as part of the project.
- The RVNL (Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd) has been entrusted with the task of executing the track doubling project in the 47km long stretch from Ponmalai – Thanjavur.
- The estimated cost of the project Rs 400 crore (Approx US$ Million).
- The work which was initially done by the construction organisation of the Southern Railway was handed over to the RVNL which is executing the doubling project from Villupuram – Dindigul via Tiruchi.
- Works in the remaining portion from Solagampatti – Thanjavur Railway Junction (28 km) were apace & would be completed before December, a senior official said.
- New station buildings have been constructed at Tiruverambur & Tondamanpatti.
- Foot over bridges (FoB) have been constructed at Tiruverambur besides Solagampatti station.
- A bypass railway line has been laid for a distance of nearly 4 km ahead of Ponmalai railway station to enable freight trains proceeding towards Ariyalur side from stations in the delta region without touching Ponmalai railway station.