Date of Post: 01 Nov, 2018
Kolkata: The first phase of the East-West Metro from Salt Lake Sector V to Salt Lake stadium will be operational by the end of March 2019 or the beginning of April 2019, Babul Supriyo Union Minister of State for Heavy Industry & Public Enterprises had said. The target for the phase-2 from Howrah Maidan to Sector V is June 2021.
- He said,”The KMRCL (Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation Ltd), the executing agency of the project, wants to ensure that safety and security measures are in place before starting the services.”
- “We are installing a modernised signaling system, the software for which is to be imported from Japan. There are several sharp bends and curves in the alignment from Sector V to Salt Lake stadium.”
- The software is expected by the end of December.
- There will be 5 rakes in stock before starting the services on the first phase.
- A KMRCL official said,”We will begin with 2 or 3 and will increase the frequency depending upon the passenger demand.”
- The first phase from Salt Lake stadium till Sector V will have 6 stations and cover a distance of 5.5 km.
- The Esplanade to Sealdah phase will be operational by June 2019.
To know more about recent developments of Kolkata Metro-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .