Date of Post: 12 Nov, 2018
Mumbai: A new suburban corridor on the Central Railway (CR) was inaugurated on Sunday, linking Nerul and Belapur in Navi Mumbai with Kharpokar in Ulwe. Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal along with Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis commissioned the 12 km long Nerul-Seawoods Darave-Belapur-Kharkopar corridor in Navi Mumbai.
- This is the phase-1 of the 27km Nerul-Belapur-Uran corridor on the Harbour route of the CR that extends suburban trains to adjoining Raigad district.
- Regular services on the corridor will start from Monday and link Ulwe node in Navi Mumbai with CSMT (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus) and Panvel on the Harbour route besides Thane on the Trans-Harbour corridor.
- This is the first suburban corridor in the Mumbai metropolitan region in 13 years and comes after the Trans- Harbour Line, connecting Thane with Navi Mumbai, was thrown open in 2005.
- Large-scale investments are being made in suburban railway network in Mumbai to enhance connectivity and improve passenger amenities, Fadnavis said.
- He said,”We are also investing Rs 1 lakh crore in various metro rail projects that will also be integrated with suburban networks.”
- The CR will operate 40 services daily from Monday, of which 20 will run between Kharkopar and Nerul and the rest between Belapur and Kharkopar stations.
- The 27km-long project is coming up at a cost of Rs 1,782 crore.
- The phase-2, on which work is currently going on, will stretch from Kharkopar to Uran, a coastal town in Raigad district.
- An official of CIDCO said,”Once fully functional, the entire corridor will benefit the Navi Mumbai Airport, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trusts container port at Nhava Sheva and fishing communities in the region and also connect Panvel, Pen, Roha and CSMT.”
- The Railways and the CIDCO is sharing the project cost in the ratio of 33:67 per cent.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .