Date of Post: 11 Dec, 2018
Kochi: The first boat service on the Kochi Water Metro project will be launched by December 2019, said A.P.M. Muhammad Haneesh, managing director, KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Ltd), following a meeting with German Ambassador to India Martin Ney, who visited the Water Metro project sites. The battery-driven boats will be operated in the most innovative and environment-friendly method available.
- The German agency, KfW, is providing Rs 582 crore as soft loan for the project.
- Haneesh said,“German ambassador to India Dr. Martin Ney expressed satisfaction over the progress of the Water Metro.”
- Tenders for the construction of boat terminals will be awarded on December 23 and that for procurement of boats in January 2019.
- He said,“The tendering process for floating jetties is on and land acquisition is fast progressing. We are focussing on the development of roads leading to the jetties. At present, most of the roads adjacent to the boat jetties are small and in dilapidated condition.”
- There will be 2 types of boats, one with a 50-seat capacity and another with a 100-seat capacity.
- There will be 78 boats operating in 15 different routes covering 76 km.
- 4 companies, Cochin Shipyard Ltd., L&T, UAE-based Grand Weld and Netherlands-based Damen, have been shortlisted for boat construction.
- The tenders will be awarded within 2 months.
To know more about recent developments of Kochi Metro-
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .