Date of Post: 26 Oct, 2017
The electrification work of the 140 km Tiruchi–Karur–Erode broad gauge section has reached an advanced stage of completion.
Overhead wiring works are over in the stretch from Karur to Chavadipalayam towards Erode and from Karur to Mutharasanallur towards Tiruchi.
CORE (CENTRAL ORGANISATION FOR RAILWAY ELECTRIFICATION) IS EXECUTING THE PROJECT
- The Central Organization for Railway Electrification (CORE), working under the Ministry of Railways is executing the project as part of which three electric sub stations will be constructed at Pettavaithalai, Pugalur and Vellianai.
- Around 4,200 masts and 210 portals are being installed in the entire stretch for the overhead electrical wire.
- Officials attached with CORE said the electrification project from Tiruchi to Erode was expected to be completed before the end of the current financial year.
- The Commissioner of Railway Safety will inspect the electrified section, which is expected to be commissioned in March after obtaining mandatory clearance.
- CORE will also carry out electrification of the 160 km Salem–Karur-Dindigul section.
- The entire project cost for electrifying Tiruchi–Karur–Erode and Salem– Karur–Dindigul sections is around Rs 350 crore.
- The Railway Electrification organisation has launched electrification works in the Tiruchi– Karaikal broad gauge section.
- CORE authorities have started the work in the stretch from Thanjavur to Karaikal covering around 100 km, with Track doubling currently apace in the Tiruchi– Thanjavur section
- Three electric sub stations are proposed to be constructed as part of the ongoing electrification project at Thanjavur, Tiruvarur and Karaikal.
- Installation of masts and portals will begin soon in the Thanjavur– Karaikal stretch, the official said adding that around 4,500 portals and masts will be erected
- Electrification of Tiruchi–Thanjavur stretch will begin once the track doubling work is completed which is currently underway.
- CORE authorities expect the track doubling works to get over in the coming months Tiruchi to Karaikal is expected to be completed by November – December 2018, said CORE authorities.
- Electrification of the Tiruchi–Karaikal and Tiruchi- Karur-Erode broad gauge section will increase the speed of trains as they will be hauled by electric locomotives.