Ahmedabad: DPR of Phase 2 of MEGA (Metro-Link Express For Gandhinagar-Ahmedabad), will soon be sent to the state government for approval.
It has 2 branches, one from Raysan Crossroads to Gift City and the second connecting Motera & the Ahmedabad airport.
- The DPR for the second phase, which is being prepared by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), is almost complete and will be submitted to the state government soon, MEGA officials said.
- The ruling BJP wants to announce the new route to Gandhinagar before the assembly election this year, officials in the urban development department said.
- The second phase will start from Motera and will connect PDPU, Raysan, GIFT (Gujarat International Finance Tec-City) and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, officials said.
- The metro rail will, in Gandhinagar, connect Akshardham, Sector 24 and Mahatma Mandir, which is also close to Gandhinagar railway station.
- The station is also being provided a facelift.
- It has been decided that there will be no direct metro link from Motera to GIFT city, but instead from Raysan, which would be hourly, officials further said.
- The entire route has been planned as an elevated corridor, as there are no heritage monuments on the route, officials said.
- Authorities plan to finish the first phase of the project, connecting Thaltej and Vastral and APMC to Motera by 2019, officials said.
- Metro services from Vastral to Apparel Park in Khokhra will go commercial by 2018, officials said.
- The state plans to have the first metro rail trial run this October.
- Commercial operations will need the final nod from (CMRS commissioner of metro rail safety), which takes some 18 month.