Date of Post: 05 Oct, 2017
Pune: The DMRC (Delhi Metro Rail Corporation) has suggested the PCMC (Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation) to construct a monorail, tram or a Bus Rapid Transit System corridor on the 30-metre High Capacity Mass Transit Route (HCMTR) from Kokane Chowk – Kalewadi Phata at Rahatni.
The PCMC is planning to introduce monorail or tram service or construct a BRTS corridor on the stretch to ease traffic congestion at Sai Chowk on the Sangvi-Kiwale and Nashik Phata-Wakad BRTS corridors.
- A provision of Rs 9 crore has been made in budget 2017-18.
- Rajeev Jadhav, former municipal commissioner, had proposed monorail or tram service in the municipal budget for 2016-17.
- Last year, the civic administration had asked DMRC to prepare the feasibility study report of the entire 29-km long stretch.
- The Pimpri Chinchwad New Township Development Authority (PCNTDA) is constructing a flyover, while PCMC is constructing a grade separator at Sai Chowk.
- In the last year’s budget, PCMC proposed to start tram service on 12km long stretch from Bhakti Shakti Chowk – Tata Material gate.
- Around 35% of the land reserved for HCMTR is in PCMC’s possession, according to officials.