New Delhi: Parking lots under the Delhi Metro Rail may soon be handed over to the DDA (Delhi Development Authority) and the municipal corporations. Addressing the 23rd Foundation Day of the Delhi Metro, Lieutenant-Governor Anil Baijal said the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has taken an in-principle decision to execute the proposal.
- Baijal said,“We had a preliminary discussion on parking spaces available with the Delhi Metro. If they (DMRC) are not able to develop it, I would like them to hand it over to the DDA and the municipal corporations.”
- The final decision will be taken by the Centre & the Delhi government, which hold equal equity in the DMRC.
- Also, Baijal stressed upon the need for last-mile connectivity & parking space at and near metro rail stations.
- Out of the total 160 metro stations, there are 97 parking lots managed by the DMRC.
- The L-G lauded DMRC, MD, Mangu Singh and his team for making efforts to bring in last-mile connectivity and ensuring that the entire electricity requirement of Delhi Metro’s phase-3 would be met with solar power.
- Mangu Singh, speaking on the occasion, he highlighted the various initiatives taken by the Delhi Metro in the past year.
- Singh said“Last year was a very satisfactory year as far as operations are concerned. We are transporting about 28 lakh passengers with the help of about 3,100 train trips, maintaining a punctuality of 99.97%.”
Awards On the occasion
- The Chandni Chowk Metro station was named the ‘Best Metro Station’.
- The head station controller at the Rajiv Chowk Metro station, Shrikant, was awarded the ‘Metro Person of the year award’.
- The Metro Woman of the Year Award was given to Kumari Tara, station controller/train operator, Yamuna Bank Crew Control.