Thiruvananthapuram: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), which is the interim consultant of the light metro project, has approached state government again with a demand to issue tender for purchase of rolling stock ahead of getting a central nod.
- A decision on issuing a tender for purchase of rolling stock would be made in 2 weeks, said PWD minister G Sudhakaran.
- The KRTL (Kerala Rapid Transit Corporation Limited) has submitted the DPR (Detailed Project Report) and comprehensive mobility plan for the project over a year ago.
- The DMRC and KRTL is of the opinion that calling of tender early would save time and bring a clarity on technology and cost of the project.
- The Detailed Project Report prepared by DMRC lacks specific details such as technology.
- DMRC and KRTL were planning to get best options from across the world on light metro technology, Sources said.
- The KRTL and DMRC officials had conducted site visits at various places like Kula Lumpur & Taipei, where light metros were functioning for the past several years.
- The DMRC using the option of an early tender to get a picture of the options available.
- It is learnt that the state government, though, set the ball rolling by initiating preliminary works for the project, it is not keen on issuing tender ahead of the Central nod.
- Meanwhile, KRTL MD Ajit Patil is expected to meet MoUD officials soon to speed up the procedures for central nod.
- In a recent meeting with PWD minister G Sudhakaran, DMRC principal advisor E Sreedharan had requested state to invite French Development Agency AFD for pre-approval talks for the project.