Date Of Post: 14 Mar, 2018
New Delhi: Delhi Metro will have a 250-km long network from today and by the year-end, it is scheduled to have a 350-km operational length, positioning it among the top 5 Metro networks in the world, DMRC Managing Director Mangu Singh said.
- Metro services will commence on the 21.56 kilometre long Majlis Park-Durgabai Deshmukh South Campus section of the Pink Line from today.
- With it Delhi Metro Railway Corporation (DMRC) will cover a network of 250 km.
- Singh said at an event on Mass Rapid Transportation System (MRTS),”By the end of 2018, DMRC will be positioned among the top five Metro railways in the world with a 350-km long network.”
- Stating that the cost of construction per km of DMRC is much lower than that of Metro systems in Dhaka & Jakarta, Singh said it had achieved 85 to 90% indigenisation in rolling stock.
- Singh said,”Except in the area of signalling system, where technology is fast upgrading, DMRC has achieved indigenisation in most areas relating to its operations.”
- Bombardier, Alstom & BEML were manufacturing coaches for DMRC at facilities based in the country, he said.
- He added, the railways is the best transportation system owing to factors like carrying capacity, environment-friendliness & energy efficiency.
Image Credit: gmp India