Date of Post: 21 Sep, 2018
New Delhi: The Delhi division of Northern Railway is mulling installation of CCTV cameras at all its manned level crossings, sources said. The plan to install CCTV cameras at manned level crossings was suggested almost 6 months ago after a meeting of zonal railways with the Railway Board as a measure to provide security to the gatemen who are usually alone at odd hours at isolated areas, the source said.
- Indian Railways has more than 19,000 manned level crossings across its network.
- As a pilot project, CCTV cameras were installed at 11 manned gates at the South Central Railway zone.
- The source said, however, despite recommendations, the plan to expand it to all manned crossings never materialised.
- “The suggestion was to install such cameras at manned level crossings where the gateman has to physically open the gate for the train. While the cameras would be helpful to monitor the gateman, it would also ensure his security,” the source said.
- The source said,“It would be greatly helpful in investigation of incidents. In northern railway, the initiative will begin with the Delhi Division.”
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
19 Sep, 2018 : All Routes of Northeast Frontier Railway to Be Electrified
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .