Date of Post: 07 Dec, 2018
Bhubaneswar: The state government has urged Indian Railways to finalise the date for signing of the MoU for the proposed multimodal hub at Bhubaneswar railway station, according to a report. In May, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had urged the railway minister Piyush Goyal for revision of the draft MoU proposing that the project would be taken up in one phase instead of two as envisaged earlier, it said.
- G. Mathi Vathanan, secretary, Housing and Urban Development Department, has urged Principal Chief Engineer of East Coast Railway (ECoR) to take necessary steps and intimate the Government about the place, date and time for the signing of the agreement, The New Indian Express reported.
- A letter from the Secretary had reached ECoR headquarters on December 3 and the date is being finalised for inking the pact, a senior railway official confirmed.
- He informed,“The state government has approved the revised MoU to be signed between Ministry of Railways and Bhubaneswar Development Authority (BDA). The letter has been sent to the Railway Board for finalisation of date and place.”
- Once the MoU is signed, the railway station will be completely overhauled, it said.
About The Project:
- The existing station building will be demolished and an aesthetically designed multi-storey iconic building with the station at the ground floor will come up, it said.
- The project will have 2 components – public infrastructure and mixed-use real estate, which are expected to be completed in 30 months and 48 months respectively.
- While public infrastructure will be developed at a cost of Rs 300 crore on EPC model, the mixed-use real estate component will be developed at around Rs 540 crore on PPP model.
- The infrastructure component would include a new terminal building for the railway station, city bus terminal, public car park, dedicated pickup and drop off lanes for taxi, auto-rickshaws and other vehicles besides theatre plaza, art plaza and children’s plaza along with food courts.
- It will be developed in an integrated manner with one public utility space having a pedestrian environment and cycling tracks.
- The mixed-use real estate component will have an iconic city square with a centrally located high rise tower providing mixed-use development – commercial, retail, hotel and service apartments.
- The railway official added,“The railways have also planned to add one more platform and 2 new lines making it to 7 platforms and 10 lines. A budgetary provision of Rs 70 crore has already been made. The work will start once the MoU is signed.”
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .