Date Of Post: 02 May, 2018
New Delhi: Construction of the RRTS (Regional Rapid Transit System ) corridor between Delhi & Meerut is expected to start by July. An official of the NCRTC (National Capital Region Transport Corporation) said that once completed, it would take just 1 hour for people to commute between the two cities. As of now, it takes close to 3 hours to commute between Delhi & Meerut, owing to traffic congestion.
- The NCRTC is the executing agency for the RRTS.
- 8 corridors have been identified for creating high-speed NCRTC smart lines in the National Capital Region (NCR).
- An officer said, out of these, 3 have been prioritised in the first phase.
- The Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor will be the first RRTS project to be implemented, the officer added.
- The other 2 corridors to be build under first phase of the project are:
- Delhi-Alwar RRTS
- Delhi-Panipat RRTS
About Delhi-Meerut RRTS:
- The official said, the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut line will begin at Sarai Kale Khan in the national capital and will go up to Modipuram in Meerut, passing through
- Murad Nagar
- Modi Nagar
- He said, daily ridership on this corridor is expected to be over 7.95 lakh by 2024.
Image Credit: UITP India