Date of Post: 04 Dec, 2017
Coimbatore: The State government has invited tenders to study the feasibility of multi-crore metro rail project in the city, CM Edappadi K Palaniswami said. “This is going to be one of the biggest infrastructure projects in Coimbatore. Once the project is completed, all the traffic woes of the city will end,” he said.
- The CMRL (Chennai Metro Rail Ltd), a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) formed to implement the Chennai metro rail project, has been entrusted with the project.
- In Coimbatore, mass rapid transit system will be constructed for a total distance of 118 km, officials said.
- While the metro rail project will cover only a distance of 50-60km, the remaining distance will see covered under the bus rapid transit system
- In the first phase, the metro rail project will cover distance of 45 km.
- A senior official said,”The tender has been called so that interested consultancy firms can send in their project qualification proposals regarding the preparation of feasibility study and detailed project report. Based on the feasibility, the project will be implemented.”
- The companies need to send in their proposals to the general manager of the Chennai Metro Rail Ltd within 3 weeks.
- The first phase of the project is likely to be commenced on Avinashi Road, according to sources.
Image Source: Yahoo