Date of Post : 20 July, 2017
Chennai: On Wednesday, CM Edappadi K. Palaniswami announced in the State Assembly Coimbatore will get Metro Rail.
The CM also announced that the project proposal for Chennai Metro’s Phase II has been given an in-principle approval & sent to the Centre for approval & disbursal of funds.
- The budget for Phase II has been set at Rs 85,047 crore (approx US$ 13,288.59 Million).
- Phase II of the project comprises 3 corridors running to 107.55 km
- Madhavaram Milk Colony to SIPCOT for 45.77 km (via Padi, Valasaravakkam & Medavakkam)
- CMBT to Light House for 17.12 km
- Madhavaram Milk Colony to Sholinganallur for 44.66km (via Perambur, Luz, Adyar and ECR)
- A statement from the government said, however, keeping in mind the traffic congestion that would arise in the Virugambakkam, Valasaravakkam areas on Arcot Road, the metro line from CMBT to Lighthouse has been extended to Poonamallee through Vadapalani & Porur.
- Chennai Metro Rail will get a detailed plan report for this extension ready.
- The statement said that this would cost an additional Rs 3,850 crore (approx US$ 601.56 Million).