Date of Post : 11 Aug, 2017
Bangalore: A Trial run of a Coimbatore-Bangalore double-decker train which would link the industrial hub with the IT city was conducted on Thursday.
With an engine & 3 coaches, The train was running from Thirupathur in Vellore district to Coimbatore.
Officials said, though the train reached later than scheduled, there were no operational problems.
- The engine with 3 double decker coaches chugged into platform 6 at Coimbatore Junction, inviting the attention of onlookers.
- Many people entered the coaches to inspect the interiors.
- The 3 coaches arrived from Bangalore earlier this week, officials said.
- Divisional Railway Manager Hari Shankar Verma said,”We have done the trial run at a speed of 80 kmph, and since it was a double decker train, which is taller and wider, we had to check if there was any overhead traction.”
- The speed at which the coaches could be pulled by the engine was also checked.
- Another trial run would be done on Friday between Coimbatore & Thirupathur at 110kmph, officials said.
- Verma said,”We will then submit a report to the zonal railway board. If everything goes as per plan, they will ask for more coaches to be sent soon.”
- A railways spokesperson said,”The number of coaches will initially depend on Bangalore’s pit line cleaning facility and capacity as we don’t have one that can handle double decker coaches.”