Date of Post: 16 Nov, 2017
New Delhi: The Railways has advanced the target for 100% completion of installing Bio-toilets in coaches to December 2018. The decision was announced at event titled, “Indian Transport Sector: Marching towards sustainable mobility” at Conference of Parties (COP-23), Indian Pavilion at Bonn, Germany on Tuesday.
- Ravindra Gupta, Member (Rolling Stock), Ministry of Railways, who is on official tour to Germany, presented the quintessential role of Indian Railways (IR) in promoting sustainable mobility.
- Also, Gupta emphasized particularly on the innovative steps taken by Indian Railways by way of bio-toilets for having an open discharge free in line with mission of “Swachh Bharat” and an Open Defecation Free (ODF) Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Two sessions were organized as a part of this side event.
- The first session highlighted efforts of Indian Railways towards a low carbon pathway & the second was dedicated to overall sustainable mobility initiatives in Indian transport sector.
- The event was attended by nearly 50 national & international participants including eminent speakers, policy makers, industry representatives.
- The event started with an Audio-Visual film on Indian Railways showcasing key low carbon transport initiatives being taken by Indian Railways such as Electrification, Energy Efficiency initiatives, renewable energy deployment etc.
- The session was organised in partnership with the Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW) & The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), as knowledge partners, FICCI as industry partner, & RITES as technical partner.