Chennai: Chennai Metro Rail Ltd. (CMRL) is planning to build a public plaza under the cloverleaf loops of the Kathipara grade separator with several facilities like bus stops & a parking lot. As a first step towards fulfilling its promise of setting up a multi-modal urban transport facility, CMRL has invited tenders to build the plaza.
- Once it is ready, commuters can simply park their vehicles in the parking lot or alight from a bus at Kathipara flyover & hop on to the metro.
- The plaza will link areas up to a radius of 500 metres around the metro station to provide commuters with last mile connectivity.
- The entire facility will be set up in the midst of greenery.
- According to the tender, CMRL expects the contractor to build a public plaza surrounded by facilities for MTC buses to turn around, pick up & drop off passengers, as well as vehicle parking facilities and other passenger amenities.
- The idea was to integrate metro rail with various modes of transport and make the stations easily accessible to pedestrians, commuters who own vehicles and those using MTC buses or autorickshaws, officials said.
- There may be pathways for commuters to safely head to the metro station from the facility under the cloverleaf.
- Once set up, CMRL officials expect the facilities will cater to the rising footfalls at Alandur metro station.
- The station has been witnessing an increase in patronage after the line between Little Mount & the airport opened in 2016, as it is a hub for commuters to switch between 2 corridors.
- CMRL has already invited tenders to build a foot overbridge in front of Alandur metro station for commuters to cross GST Road.