Date of Post : 17 July, 2017
CHENNAI: The Work to build a second modern metro rail depot at Wimco Nagar, may begin by this year-end.
More Information About The Depot:
- Officials said that they were in the process of completing land acquisition for the depot, which will be one-tenth of the size of those built by the Indian Railways.
- It will also have cutting-edge technology for regular upkeep of trains.
- The depot, planned along with the phase-1 extension project from Washermenpet to Wimco Nagar, may get operational only by 2019.
- “Land acquisition is in its last stage at Wimco Nagar. We may float tenders to invite companies to build the depot before the end of this year,” said a metro rail officer.
- CMRL is focusing on completing the underground stretch of phase-1 at Anna Salai and phase-1 extension between Washermenpet and Korukkupet.
- The Wimco Nagar depot will be the second shed for stabling and maintenance work apart from the existing one at Koyambedu,
- CMRL will run as many as 40 four-car trains when phase-1 and its extension project gets operational.
- Wimco Nagar depot will have 17 railway lines to bring trains to shed.
- The depot at Koyambedu currently has the capacity to accommodate 10 four-car trains that run on the elevated and underground corridors of phase-1.
- Air-conditioned metro trains undergo a three-stage service maintenance once in three days at the Koyambedu depot.
- Engineers also conduct quarterly, half-yearly and annual maintenance work besides overhauling trains once in four years.
- “Wimco Nagar depot will only conduct low maintenance work on trains. Koyambedu depot will continue to do heavy maintenance work,” Cmrl officers said.