Date of Post : 26 July, 2017
Chennai: Chennai Metro Rail has adopted a mechanism that will help save about 2,000 litres of water per day.
The condensed water dripping from the air conditioners will be collected & used for various purposes, according to the officials of Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL).
An official said,“For a start, this process has been tried in the administrative building of CMRL in Koyambedu. Soon, we plan to extend it to the stations along the underground stretch from Thirumangalam to Nehru Park.”
- Sources said, the administrative building alone consumes 40,000 litres of water every day.
- Stations on the elevated corridor & the underground corridor consume around 25,000 & 15,000 litres respectively.
- He added,“The purified water will be used for cleaning toilets, washing trains or watering plants on the CMRL premises.”
- Chennai Metro Rail gets 90 percent of its water supply from Chennai Metrowater & the remaining is purchased from private water supplier.
- An official said,“We have been asked to be very cautious about water consumption and reduce it to the maximum extent possible.”