Date of Post : June 17, 2017
Meghalaya: Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has asked railway officials to work out plans & design for railway connectivity between Shillong & Sohra.
The proposed Shillong-Sohra rail link would provide new opportunities for the state and the people who would utilise the railway for high-end tourism destination and as separate facility for farmers, said Sangma, who held a review meeting with Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) officials.
- Sohra, known as one of the wettest places on the earth is about 50 kilometer from Shillong, the state capital.
- In the year 1895-96, the British provincial government of united Assam built the Cherra (Sohra) Companyganj State Railways & it was one of the first railway projects of that era.
- It was a contemporary of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railways or the “Toy Train” now listed as World Heritage.
- Sangma said,“It will be the most sought after train ride for people who would like to visit Meghalaya again and again. This will also provide a kind of train ride for couples enjoying their honeymoon or others celebrating their anniversary in the midst of beauty and nature.”
- PM Narendra Modi had inaugurated the first railway station at Mendipathar in the Garo Hills on November 30, 2014.
- The 19.47 kilometer rail line will connect Mendipathar with Dudhnoi in Assam’s Goalpara district.