Date of Post: 19 Dec, 2018
Chennai: Metro train operations between DMS and Washermenpet will start by January-end next year, thus completing first Phase of the project. Recently, Minister for Industries, Steel Control and Special Initiatives, MC Sampath and CMRL (Chennai Metro Rail Ltd) Managing Director, Pankaj Kumar Bansal inspected the 10km Teynampet AG DMS-Washermenpet.
- Test runs in the AG DMS to Washermenpet underground tracks already began and full-scale operations will start before January-end, officials said.
- The final safety inspection by the CMRS (Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety) on this stretch has been scheduled in the second week of January next year, according to sources.
- This inspection is mandatory and the CMRS will inspect various parts of the stations, the facilities available for passengers.
- The CMRS will also look at the working of systems including signalling & telecommunications, alignment of track and tunnels connecting the stations.
- Work on Chennai Metro Rail project has been going on for the last 6 years and AG-DMS to Washermanpet stretch will bring the project to an end.
- This stretch between AG-DMS and Washermanpet will be fully underground.
- The Phase-1 construction started in June 2009 and the first Metro rail service in Chennai became operational in 2015.
- Currently, there are two lines operating in Phase-1 — Airport – Central via Koyambedu and Airport to Teynampet DMS.
- Plans to connect these two lines are finally coming to an end with the completion of track work from DMS to Washermenpet via Chennai Central.
To know more about recent developments of Chennai Metro-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .