Date Of Post: 08 Dec, 2017
Chennai: The construction of the last tunnel for the phase-1 project will be completed by Monday. The tunnel will connect May Day Park with AG-DMS. The 4 km long line between May Day Park & AG-DMS is likely to be thrown open to the public before the end of 2018. The only TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) at work will complete excavation & building of the last tunnel by Monday.
- An official said,”We are hoping to finish by this weekend, but we should complete tunneling by Monday at the latest.”
- The construction of the first of the two tunnels was completed on October 18.
- Once the 2nd tunnel is completed, it will connect metro stations from Central all the way up to the airport via Anna Salai.
- However, the line is expected to be operational only by the end of 2018, as work in the 5 underground stations between May Day Park & AG-DMS has to be completed.
- CMRL is already gearing up to open a part of the underground section in Anna Salai a 3.6-km line from AG-DMS to Saidapet in March 2018.
- Tracks are being readied for trial runs to begin by the end of December 2017.
There Are Four Stations Connecting The Line-
Image Credit : Chennai Metro