Date of Post: 25 Nov, 2017
Chennai: Only 50% of the Metro Phase-II project in Chennai will be initially funded by the JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) & tenders may be awarded in the financial year, according to Pankaj Kumar Bansal, MD, CMRL (Chennai Metro Rail Ltd.).
- Only 50% of the 107-km stretch project would be taken up in the first phase after which the Tamil Nadu government would seek funding either from the JICA or from other sources, Bansal said, speaking on ‘Can the Metro Rail Transform Chennai?’ organised by Chennai International Centre at the Madras School of Economics on Friday.
- The CMRL has submitted a revised DPR (Detailed Project Report) seeking Rs 80,000 crore for implementing the Metro Phase-II project in Chennai.
- The Metro Rail Phase-II will have three corridors, They Are –
- Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus (CMBT)-Lighthouse
- Bansal said,“We are also in the process of revising the proposal to extend the Chennai Metro Rail line from Lighthouse near the Marina Beach to Poonamallee on the city outskirts at an additional cost of Rs 3,850 crore.”