Date Of Post: 27 Jan, 2018
Chennai: Chennai Metro Rail began trial runs between Nehru Park & Chennai Central on Friday, covering a distance of 2.7 km. The exercise will continue for 3 months, according to CMRL (Chennai Metro Rail Ltd.) officials. An official said,“The trial runs are being carried out as the signalling and electrification works are complete on this stretch. At present, the finishing works are on and the final coat of paint will be given.”
- Soon after completing the work, CMRS (Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety) will inspect the lines and then the stretch will be thrown open to public.
- This stretch will be the extension of the existing underground line from Thirumangalam to Nehru Park.
- At present, Metro Rail operates direct service from Nehru Park to the airport.
- Metro Rail plans to have trial runs from Saidapet to DMS in a few weeks.
- But that stretch will be opened only by May after approval from various authorities.
Image Credit: KARTY JazZ – Wikimedia Commons