CHENNAI: Chennai Metro rail will soon install kiosks that will sell soft drinks & snacks in all the underground stations as the first attempt to increase footfall. Eateries will come up soon at these stations. A Food kiosk will have a variety of soft drinks, snacks & mineral water bottles will be installed in all the 7 underground metro stations, Metro officials said.
- Metro rail will call for tenders from food brands to put up stalls.
- It is mandatory to commercially exploit space in stations both for additional revenue & to attract passengers, officials said.
- At underground stations, restaurants may come up in the ticketing level.
- A metro official said,”If commuters are thirsty, they don’t have to look for shops near the station. They can simply walk in, pay and grab a soft drink or water from these kiosks and take a ride. This will also increase ridership.”
- The city’s first underground stretch between Nehru Park – Thirumanagalam was opened for public on May 14.
- Elevated Metro stations from Koyambedu to Alandur, inaugurated in June 2015, have kiosks in the non-paid area of the station.
- Some stations also have stalls of some food brands at the entry points so that both commuters & non-commuters will walk in.