Date of Post: 16 Sep, 2018
Chennai: The Chennai Central railway station, has received the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) certification for adopting green building concepts and features in the station. The award was given under green railway stations rating system by IGBC’ and the council’s Chennai chapter Chairman, C N Raghavendran presented a plaque and certificate to Southern Railway general manager, R K Kulshrestha at a function on Saturday, a release said.
The rating system facilitates-
- Energy efficiency improvements
- Use of renewable energy sources
- Water management and rain water harvesting
- Health, hygiene and sanitation
- Green cover
Some features implemented at the railway station as evaluated by IGBC include-
- Well-developed passenger amenities
- Pre-paid air-conditioned hall
- LED lighting
- Solar panels
- Use of solar water heaters to meet 90% of hot water requirements
- Green railway stations rating is a tool to facilitate adoption of green concepts, thereby reducing the adverse environmental impacts due to operation and maintenance, it added.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .