Date of Post: 06 Feb, 2019
The Centre has given its approval for a new railway line between Morappur and Dharmapuri in Tamil Nadu at an estimated cost of Rs 358.95 crore. The 36 km long new line will cut down travel distance by 81 km and link Dharmapuri with Chennai and fulfill the over seven decades dream of the people.
- PMK leader and Dharmapuri Lok Sabha MP Anbumani Ramadoss said,”The 78 year dream of people has been fulfilled, a new railway line between Dharmapuri and Morappur for a distance of 36 km will be built.”
- Releasing a letter, dated February 4, addressed to him by Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal informing him of the sanction for the new line.
- In the letter, Goyal cited Anbumani’s letter of October 2017 seeking a railway line between Morappur and Dharmapuri.
- The Minister said he had requested Tamil Nadu to take up the project in JV model or give consent for 50% cost sharing of the project.
- The government of Tamil Nadu, however, informed that it was not feasible to execute this new line project through JV models.
- Goyal said,”I am happy to inform you that despite the negative response from the State, the proposal for the new line between Morappur and Dharmapuri has been sanctioned on January 16, 2019 by the Ministry of Railways in a record time.”
- “Presently, route from Morappur to Dharmapuri is via Salem with a distance to 117 km. After construction of this line, distance will reduce to 36 km and thus there will be saving in distance to the tune of 81 km,” he said
- “This will also be an alternative route to industrial corridor of Bengaluru and Hosur,” the Minister said.
- The cost of the project including electrification is Rs 358.95 crore, according to the DPR (Detailed Project Report).
- The PMK leader said,”A stone will soon be laid for the project and work will commence. I will urge the Centre to soon hold the stone laying ceremony.”
To know more about recent developments of of Railways –
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )