Date of Post: 18 Oct, 2017
Mumbai: The central railways has received a financial grant worth Rs 10 crore from a foundation for restoring the heritage building of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT).
The State Bank of India (SBI) Foundation has partnered with the central railways over the period of at least 5 years for the conservation project.
MoU Between Central Railway & SBI Foundation
- On Monday, a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) was signed between the central railways & State Bank of India Foundation for conserving the heritage structure.
- The Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), a non-profit organisation has been assinged the work of identifying the defects in the heritage building.
- Vikas Dilawari, a conservation architect, appointed by INTACH for restoration work, said,“We were assigned the work of identifying defects in the structure on the southern and eastern facade of the iconic railway station of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT). We have submitted the maps to the central railways which reflects the minor defects in the structure and awaiting an approval from the railways to restore the remaining structures.”
- An official said,“Structures like these needs to be restored as many parts are broken and covered in dust. We hope to restore the iconic structure through the funds received from the SBI foundation.”
- The southern side of the station building also has a unique three structures that represent Industry, Commerce & Trade which would be restored under the project.