Date Of Post: 12 Apr, 2018
Mumbai: The Central Railway (CR) will install 288 escalators at all the railway stations. 93 feasible locations have been identified for escalators on existing FOBs (Foot over Bridges) in the suburban section and have kept a target of installing 214 escalators by March 2019, a senior official said. In the first phase, they have planned to commission 40 escalators before June, CR official said.
- At present, there are 34 escalators in the Mumbai Division.
- SK Jain, Divison Railway Manager (DRM), Central Railway said,“We are almost ready with most of the escalators. We need to conduct some tests before commissioning, which should be over before the monsoons. We have kept a target of 214 escalators by March 2019.”
- The railway authorities will undertake preparatory work for many of the 214 escalators during monsoons.
- Jain said,“We will take those locations on priority where there are already existing Foot Over Bridges (FOBs) and there are no issues of landing.”
- It has also identified possible locations for 16 escalators on FOBs currently under construction and locations for 49 and 56 escalators on FOBs that will be executed by Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) and CR respectively.
- 40 escalators will be installed pre-monsoon at Dadar, Ghatkopar, Kalyan, Byculla, Chembur will have one pair of escalators as well as the one being installed at platform No 18 at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus and 2 locations at Lokmanya Tilak Terminus.
Image Credit: South Western Railway