Date of Post : 10 Aug, 2017
Chennai: In a step towards multi-modal integration, bus stops along Anna Nagar & Poonamallee High Road will be moved closer to the Metro underground stations.
The move will facilitate easy access to buses for commuters from Metro stations, according to officials of the Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL).
An official said,“Many bus stops are located closer to the underground Metro stations and we have held discussions with the Metropolitan Transport Corporation to move the other bus stops too. This should be done within a week or two.”
- There are 7 underground Metro stations from Anna Nagar-Poonamallee High Road currently which became operational in May this year.
- Besides, Chennai Metro Rail officials have been holding discussions with MTC to finalise the routes for running feeder services such as mini bus along this stretch.
- The official said,“We have prepared the routes already; but MTC has to approve of it only after which the feeder services can begin.”
- 5 months after the stretch became operational, the feeder services, essential for commuters to reach interior areas in both Anna Nagar & Poonamallee High Road, are yet to be implemented.
- In the first 2 stretches of Chennai Metro Rail — Koyambedu to Alandur & Little Mount to Chennai airport — bus stops are closer to the entry or exit of some stations.