Date of Post: 2 Feb, 2019
Rail passengers are in for some faster, fancier and state-of-the-art coaches and trains in the coming fiscal with Union Minister Piyush Goyal in his first Budget increased the allocation for railways’ rolling stock by 64%. The railways’ plan of exporting its coaches and be a part of the USD 200 billion rolling stock market worldwide will get a huge impetus by allocation of Rs 6,114.82 crore in the Budget.
- In 2018-19, budgetary allocation in this regard was Rs 3,724.93 crore.
- Buoyed by the success of the indigenous Train-18 (named recently Vande Bharat Express) which has hit a maximum speed of 180 kmph during trials, the new air-conditioned rakes, rakes for the metros and other such coaches and train sets, the railways has already drawn a blueprint till 2021 to increase production in its factories.
- If the target set by the railways for its factories – the Modern Coach Factory in Rai Barely, the Integral Coach Factory in Chennai and its factories in Kapurthala and Haldia – is met, then they would have together manufactured almost 15,000 coaches of different kinds in 2019-21, according to officials.
- These will include-
- 200 Humsafar coaches
- 290 Deen Dayalu coaches
- 40 Antyodya coaches
- Other coaches for Metros, EMUs and MEMUs
- Also, the Railways is planning to produce 6 more Train-18s at a cost of Rs 97 crore each.
- The railways in the next 3 years will manufacture 884 Deen Dayalu – general category coaches, these will have padded seats, water dispensers and bio toilets.
- It will also manufacture 600 MEMUs, which will replace passenger trains in major cities in the coming years.
- Goyal, who was given the charge of the finance ministry temporarily recently, presented the Budget 2019-20 in absence of Jaitley, who is away in New York for medical treatment.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )