Date Of Post: 07 Feb, 2018
Hubballi: The Union Budget 2018-19 has allocated Rs 3,353 crore to the South Western Railway (SWR) zone, a 6% increase from Rs 3,174 crore in fiscal 2017-18, said an official on Tuesday. SWR General Manager A.K. Gupta said,”The Budget has allocated Rs 3,353 crore to our zone (SWR) for the ensuing fiscal as against Rs 3,174 crore for FY 2017-18.”
- The railway zone, has been allocated Rs 12,000 crore in the Budget for the construction of 142-km corridors for Bengaluru suburban rail service.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced the planning of a suburban network of 160 km at an estimated cost of Rs 17,000 crore to the city, as part of his speech while presenting the Union Budget proposals in Parliament.
- Gupta said,”A total of Rs 840 crore has been allocated as part of the Budget for doubling of 212-km tracks in the zone.”
Doubling Of Tracks-
- The 48km tracks from Baiyappanahalli to Hosur city in Tamil Nadu will be doubled at an estimated cost of Rs 375 crore.
- The tracks between Penukonda and Dharmavaram would also be doubled at a budget of Rs 294 crore.
- The SWR has been granted Rs 919 crore in the 2018-19 Budget for the electrification of 7 routes in Karnataka spanning 989 km route.
- These include tracks between Mysuru & Mangaluru, and Bangarpet in Karnataka’s Kolar district & Yelahanka.
Image Credit: South Western Railway