Date Of Post: 25 Apr, 2018
Mumbai: Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) is looking for localisation of coaches for Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project through a tie-up with Japanese company Hitachi, with which it recently signed a memorandum of understanding, a senior company official said.
- BEML CMD DK Hota, confirming that the company had recently signed a pact with Hitachi for railway product collaboration,”We are looking to contribute for the bullet train project (between Ahmedabad and Mumbai). It is a Japanese funded project, so Japanese companies will be involved. Two Japanese companies which qualify to participate are Hitachi and Kawasaki.”
- Hota said, after addressing a convocation at Nirma University,”Kawasaki has tied up with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, while we have done MoU with Hitachi. Last week I went to Japan and visited Hitachi factory in order to see how much we can indigenise for the project.”
- He said,”Japanese companies will like to offer imported products, but our aim is to see how we can ensure maximum indigenisation.”
- The collaboration is for 240 coaches which are planned to be introduced for the project by 2023, Hota said.
- He added,”It is too premature to comment further on this.”
Image Credit: Sukhoi37 – Wikimedia Commons