Date of Post: 17 Dec, 2018
BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Ltd), the India’s largest rail coach maker, has pitched for indigenisation of at least 6 rakes of bullet train coaches in collaboration with its Japanese partner Hitachi. Japanese companies Hitachi and Kawasaki will bid to be the main contractor in the Japan government-assisted Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project.
- D K Hota, Chairman and Managing Director, BEML said,”We have submitted our request for indigenisation of 6 bullet rakes (60 coaches).”
- However, in joint negotiation meetings, Hitachi had indicated that if the project has to meet its rollout deadline of 2023, then indigenisation of not more than one bullet train rake could be possible.
- Hota said,”We want more volume in the indigenisation process, which will be a win-win for the country and make our investments viable in the bullet train project.”
- The Bullet Train project envisages 24 rakes comprising 240 coaches, which would run between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
- BEML is keen on undertaking the entire interior work that is termed as ‘level 3 indigenisation’.
- An official said that the broad contours can only be finalised after the bidding and selection of the main contractor and the subcontractor for the bullet train project.
- Recently, a team of BEML officials had visited the Hitachi facility in Japan to evaluate ground realities.
- Indigenisation of coaches is part of the central government’s ‘Make in India’ mission.
- The rail coaches business is a key and growing segment for BEML, which can produce 800 rail coaches and 300 metro coaches per annum.
- Meanwhile, it has also bagged a contract worth Rs 3,015 crore for the Mumbai Metro corridors.
- BEML will manufacture 378 metro cars for the Mumbai Metro 2A, 2B and 7 Corridors.
- There is scope for another 120-odd metro cars in the same project in the second lot, taking the total to 500, according to BEML.
- The company was aiming at a 30% rise in the bottom line in the 2018-19 fiscal, Hota had recently said.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .