Date Of Post: 28 Apr, 2018
Kolkata: BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Limited) is keen to enter the business of part indigenisation of bullet train components for which it has entered into an agreement with Japanese company Hitachi, a company official said. Bullet train operations are proposed to commence by 2023 between Mumbai & Ahmedabad with the help of Japanese investments & technology.
- D K Hota CMD BEML said,”It is a very complicated technology. We are eager to do a portion of indigenisation of the train components and slowly absorb the technology.”
- Hota said, recently, BEML had entered into an agreement with Hitachi of Japan in this regard.
- As per the plan, out of the 24 rakes comprising 240 coaches which would run between Mumbai & Ahmedabad, 10 would be manufactured in India.
- Hota said,”We will be ready for supplies once we get the order from the government.”
- BHEL was the other PSU which had entered into a similar agreement with another Japanese firm, Kawasaki.
- The bullet train project is estimated to cost Rs 1.1 lakh crore.
- BEML, which is also involved in other verticals like manufacture of defence and mining and construction equipment, had supplied metro rakes for East-West Metro in Kolkata, Bangalore Metro & Delhi Metro.
Image Credit: Cheng-en Cheng | Wikimedia Commons