Date Of Post: 12 Dec, 2017
Bengaluru: The Karnataka cabinet gave its approval to a Rs 5,950 crore project for providing metro rail connectivity to the international airport on the city outskirts. The 29.62 km Metro project that will connect Nagavara & Kempegowda International airport will have 7 stations. The time frame for completing the project is 2021.
- The DPR (Detailed Project Report) had been prepared and Rs 5,950 crore was expected to be invested in the project, Law & Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra said.
- It would be financed through Rs 1,000 crore collected by the Bengaluru International Airport Limited as Passenger Service Fee, Rs 1,350 crore from state government, Rs 500 crore from Centre & around Rs 3000 crore as loan.
- The 42.3 km first phase of Bengaluru Metro Rail Project started in 2008, was opened to public in different phases.
- The last section of first phase, measuring 11.3 km was opened in June this year.
- Already, the phase-II is under implementation & would add another 72 kms to the existing network.
- After the expansion, it was expected to carry more than 15 lakh passengers per day.
Image Credit : Italian-Thai Development PCL