Date Of Post: 23 June, 2018
Bangalore: The first 6-coach metro train service was flagged off by Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy in presence of Union Urban Development Minister Hardeep Singh Puri at Baiyappanahalli station in the east to Mysuru Road station in the west via Kempegowda station in the city centre. The 3 additional coaches, manufactured by the Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), were added to one of the metro trains on the east-west purple line.
- The first coach of the metro train reserved for women & children.
- The 3 cars were handed over by BEML to BMRCL in February this year.
- Currently, at least 4 lakh people use the Bengaluru metro each day for commute on its north-south green line and east-west purple line, the latter being the busier route among the two.
- The addition of metro coaches aims at easing the peak hour rush.
- By June 2019, the BMRCL aims for all the 50 metro trains running on the two lines to have 6 coaches instead of 3