Date of Post : 03 July, 2017
Kolkata: The Axis Bank open loop based EMV contactless card launched this month for the Kochi Metro, may also be introduced for the Kolkata Metro.
An Axis Bank official said,“Dialogue with Kolkata Metro is on for a co-branded open loop based card which can be used for Metro Railway and in all merchant outlets for electronic payment.”
- This will be a prepaid card & not a savings bank account linked debit card.
- The official said,“People with no account in Axis Bank will be able to procure such a card for Metro railway travel and make electronic payment.”
- Currently, the Kolkata Metro offers a closed loop electronic card to commuters to avoid buying tickets daily & these can be loaded at Metro booking counters only.
- But the new open loop cards will allow a passenger multiple options to load money.
- Earlier, Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited Chairman Vishwesh Chaubey said, the Metro Rail is also discussing revenue sharing model with the Axis Bank.