Date of Post : 19 July, 2017
Vijayawada: The AMRC (Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation) has come up with another alternative mode of mass transport system — Light Rail Transit (LRT).
The list includes electric metro busway & a hybrid model comprising part rail & bus modes.
The AMRC has found that both the modes are potential alternatives to the rail-based commuter system apparently due to the inordinate delay in taking the metro railway beyond the conceptual stage.
- Now, the AMRC officials met Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu to put forward the LRT proposal.
- The LRT system is said to be one of the most avant-garde technologies operating in Germany & France.
- It allows the operating company to increase the number of rolling stocks & frequency, depending on the footfall.
- In comparison, it is not possible in the metro rail, the AMRC officials told the Chief Minister.
- Mr. Naidu, expressing his keenness on improving the connectivity, has agreed to look at the design & proposals of the LRT system in 2 days.
- He said,“The maximum travel time should not exceed 30 minutes. The transportation system must be efficient and pollution-free.”
- The Central government had given in principle clearance to the metro rail project in Vijayawada city nearly 21 months ago.
- The government started examining an electric metro busway & a hybrid model.
- The AMRC officials have already studied some successful models abroad.