Date of Post: 27 Dec, 2018
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone has concluded import and delivery of 50 GE locomotives to Indian Railways. APSEZ (Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd) successfully concluded the import and dispatch of 50 General Electric Transportation GE locomotives from Mundra port for the Indian Railways with full customer satisfaction and zero’ incident.
#Mundra port has completed the biggest import consignment in India consisting of 50 General Electric Transportation locomotives for Indian Railways. A big thank you to the team whose perseverance made the entire 10-month project seamless, safe and efficient. #PortsOfProsperity pic.twitter.com/jkoAe5Bq5X
— Adani Group (@AdaniOnline) December 26, 2018
- The Company said the statement, all 50 locomotives were manufactured by GE Electromotive Division in the US and imported at Mundra port for the Indian Railways, a first for Indian shopping and logistics.
- On November 23 this year, the final locomotive was handed over to the Railways at the Roza Loco Shed (Uttar Pradesh).
- Between October 2017 and November 2018, the commissioning of the locomotives was completed.
- Mundra port has the unique distinction of handling consignments critical for development and defence of the nation, the statement said.
- It said, the port has played an instrumental role in logistics of wagons for various Metro projects pan-India.
- APSEZ is India’s largest private multi-port operator and a part of the Adani Group.
- Since 1962, after the import of WDM2 ALCO locomotives for the Indian Railways, the current import of GE locomotives is the biggest import consignment in India.
- The first GE locomotive was imported to Mundra and handled by Adani Port in October 2017.
- Avinash Rai APSEZ Chief Operating Officer said, “Efficiency in logistical operations is given an maximum priority at Adani Ports. Therefore, while handling the logistical operations for the Indian Railways and GE, we made sure the transportation of cargo from the vessel to its destination is seamless and without any incident.”
About Mundra Port-
Mundra Port is the second largest port in India in handling container cargo. In 2014 15, Mundra port handled 1.75 million TEUs and has the installed terminal capacity to handle 2.3 Million TEUs per annum.
Adani Ports operates two terminals at Mundra – Adani Mundra Container Terminal (AMCT), which started operations in 2007, and Adani International Container Terminal (AICTPL), which was operationalised in 2013. Jointly both terminals handle 26 services, connecting India to destinations across the world.
APSEZ’s 10 strategically located ports and terminals Mundra, Dahej, Kandla and Hazira in Gujarat, Dhamra in Odisha, Mormugao in Goa, Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh, and Kattupalli and Ennore in Chennai represent 24 per cent of the country’s total port capacity, handling vast amounts of cargo from both coastal areas and the vast hinterland. The company is also developing a transhipment port at Vizhinjam, Kerala.
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ) is promoted by Adani Group, one of India’s largest business conglomerates.
About Adani Group:
The Adani Group is one of India’s leading business houses with revenue of over $11 billion.
Founded in 1988, Adani has grown to become a global integrated infrastructure player with businesses in key industry verticals – resources, logistics, energy and agro. The integrated model is well adapted to the infrastructure challenges of the emerging economies.
About GE Transportation:
At GE Transportation, we are in the business of realizing potential. We are a global technology leader and supplier of equipment, services and solutions to the rail, mining, marine, stationary power and drilling industries. Our innovations help customers deliver goods and services with greater speed and savings using our advanced manufacturing techniques and connected machines. Our digital solutions, which provide data-driven insights to improve efficiency, leverage Predix – GE’s cloud-based operating system for the Industrial Internet.
All Image Credit: GE
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .