Date of Post: 18 July, 2018
Mumbai: Adani Logistics, an arm of Adani Ports and SEZ, signed an agreement with NYK Auto Logistics India, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK Group) of Japan, to form a joint venture (JV) that will specialise in transportation of finished vehicles using freight trains.
- Already, Adani Logistics has category 1 licence from the railway ministry which allows it to operate container trains on the broad-gauge network of the Railways throughout the country.
- A statement from Adani Logistics said, the JV aims at strengthening the finished vehicles transportation service network in the country.
- “This association combines the strengths of individual companies and will utilise these available assets and expertise to deliver end-to-end value driven, asset and service based, supply chain solutions to the domestic automobile industry,” Karan Adani, chief executive, Adani Ports, said.
- “The partnership will allow them to strengthen their inland capabilities in the country with a reliable association focusing on quality and visibility in the supply chain,” NYK Auto Logistics managing director Naotaka Ishizawa said.
- While the domestic auto sector grew 16% in FY18, government has been promoting alternative means of transportation to reduce carbon footprint, and one of the steps in this regard is transporting vehicles through the Railways.
- It said, the JV will participate in AFTO policy of the Railways and offer its automobile freight trains to ferry vehicles across the country in a more efficient manner.
- Since the company expects finished vehicles distribution through rail mode to grow faster than the industry’s growth rate, it sees a great opportunity, and in the JV will help its ride this growth.
- Accordingly, the JV is planning to commence operation with 6 automobile freight trains, which will be scaled up to 25 over the next 3 years.
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information