Date of Post: 22 Sep, 2018
New Delhi: ABB will supply equipment to enhance power quality at rail line along the India’s longest freight corridor, helping trains run at optimum speed, the industrial technology provider said on Friday.
ABB said in a statement,”ABB will supply a step-less Power Quality Compensator Reactive (PQCR), which helps to regulate and stabilize the power supply when there are dynamic and highly fluctuating loads.”
- It added, in addition, ABB will also supply fixed and dynamic reactive power compensation panels at 23 traction substations.
- It said,”ABB will play a key role by enhancing the system’s reliability with an innovative power quality solution.”
- The solution will be implemented in the western segment of the DFC between Mumbai and Dadri that covers a distance of more than 1,500 km.
- The DFC will run between the 4 cities known as the Golden Quadrilateral – Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata – and will be developed by the DFCCIL (Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd).
- DFCCIL expects to transport up to 15,000 tonne of load for long distances and will have a container capacity of 400 units per train, among the highest in the world.
- To cope with the volume, DFCCIL is pioneering the operation of double stack containers on electrified routes in India.
- The trains will be high-speed, with maximum speed varying between 75-100 kmph.
- ABB said,”Such high speeds and variation of loads can affect power consumption patterns, creating significant voltage fluctuations and low power factor that cause power quality issues in the electrical railway traction systems.”
- This fluctuation could result in equipment malfunction and even downtime.
- Power quality issues can also spread through the supply grid, creating a domino effect of disturbances to other users.
- The potential risk of non-compliance to grid codes can also lead to financial penalties.
- By improving the reliability of the grid and reducing downtime, ABB’s innovative PQCR technology will help DFCCIL optimise the operating costs of its freight network.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
19 Sep, 2018 : All Routes of Northeast Frontier Railway to Be Electrified
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .