Date of Post: 18 Oct, 2018
ABB has won an order worth Rs 115 crore from Indian Railways to supply traction transformers, it said on Wednesday. The contract has been awarded by Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi, ABB said in a statement. These transformers are customized for the WAP-7 type electric locomotive.
- The 6,000 HP (Horsepower) capacity locomotive is capable of hauling 24 coaches at speed of up to 140 kmph.
- The project is part of the ‘Mission Electrification’ initiative of the Indian Railways, which aims to convert an additional 24,000 km of railway network from fuel oil to electrification.
- It added, the mission also aims to enhance energy efficiency by adopting high quality equipment and facilitating the increased adoption of renewable energy in railway operations.
- The transformers will be manufactured at its Vadodara facility in Gujarat, ABB said.
- ABB claims its transformers power about half the world’s electrical locomotives and train sets, and most train manufacturers and rail operators rely on them.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
16 Oct, 2018 : Indian Railways Decides to Install Black Boxes in Trains
16 Oct, 2018 : Railways to Replace Wooden Sleepers with Composite Sleepers
Image Credit: ABB
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .