Date of Post: 05 Nov, 2018
8 major firms have entered the race to install CCTV cameras at more than 6,000 railway stations across the country. On August 22 this year, RailTel, Indian Railways’ telecom arm, had floated the tender for the supply, installation, testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of 89,845 IP (Internet Protocol) based VSS (Video Surveillance System) at 6,124 railway stations.
- These cameras will not only record movements at stations, but it has more features such as-
- facial recognition software
- motion detection
- quick review
- intrusion detection
- The recording will be under scrutiny round the clock by security personnel of the RPF (Railway Protection Force) and GRP (Government Railway Police).
- L&T, HFCL, BEL, BECIL, TCIL, Mahindra Defence, Avrin Pro and KEC International have emerged as serious contenders for the over Rs 1000 crore project after the closure of the bid.
- A senior RailTel official said, “We got a good response as the bid was closed on October 30, with 8 companies showing interest in participating in the project involving surveillance systems under which CCTV cameras at all stations.”
- He added, “Our aim is to select the bidder after due diligence by December-end so that contract can be awarded after that.”
- The proposals of these 8 companies are currently being scrutinised and, the price bid will be open after the technical evaluation,.
- The official said, the price quotations will be known only after the completion of technical evaluation.
- The national transporter is expecting a competitive price tag of about Rs 10 billion for the project.
- Railways has earmarked Rs 3000 crore in its 2018-19 budget to install CCTV systems across 11,000 trains and 8,000 stations to ensure safety and security on rail premises.
- There are over 50 major stations, including New Delhi which are already equipped with CCTV cameras.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst.
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India.
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.