Date of Post: 01 Dec, 2017
Hyderabad: The Hyderabad Metro Rail has received an overwhelming response with over 2 lakh passengers travelling on the opening day of its commercial operations. Hyderabad Metro Rail Ltd (HMRL) Managing Director N V S Reddy said,”On day one of the metro service, over two lakh passengers travelled…it was a record. It (turnout) was much beyond our expectation.”
The Metro Project:
- Hyderabad Metro Rail Project, touted as the worlds largest public-private partnership of its kind, commenced its commercial operations on wednesday between Miyapur & Nagole, a total distance of around 30 kms, covering 24 stations.
- PM Modi inaugurated the first phase of the 72-km long elevated metro project at Miyapur station on Tuesday.
Passengers Travelled First Ride-
- Around 80% passengers travelled for their work purpose, while the remaining ones were joyriders, according to Reddy.
- Reddy said,”Our expectation is that 1.5 lakh passengers will travel by the metro everyday after a month.”
- He said, HMRL is establishing feeder services, including buses from the metro stations, where it is also developing parking areas.
- “Delighted that Hyderabadis have welcomed Hyderabad Metro in a big way. More than 2 lakh people took the train on day 1,” Rao said.
- 546 security personnel from private security service agencies are manning the Metro stations on the Miyapur-Nagole stretch, and they are working under three police officials per station in each shift, HMRL said.