On the recently launched Kochi Metro Rail Project, Rail Analysis India Team conducted an Interview with Mr. Vivek George, Management Professional, to know about the Impact of Kochi Metro Project on city’s Infrastructure and Business Opportunities.
Mr. George – I live in Ernakulam and is presently working in Infopark,Kochi.. Prior to this I was taking care of the ‘Corporate Relations’ for The Cochin Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI) .In this profile I have managed the Secretariat for Cochin Port Lease Holders Association (CPLHA) and as Manager-Administration & Operations for CCCI’s SPV- Cochin Waste 2 Energy Pvt Ltd.I was recently involved in a study on the Real Estate scenario of Cochin for CREDAI during 2013-16.For the last 5 years have been associated with the Cochin Corporation and District Administration. I have assisted the State Ministers, MLAs, Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Elected representatives of LSGs, Cochin Corporation Secretary for conduct of programs and management of Social Campaigns during the year 20010-16. Have experience of working with the District Collectors and RTOs in the years 2010-12 for managing social programs and events.
I was involved in GCDA’s (Greater Cochin Development Authority) Vision 2030 programme , was a part of the Cochin Corporation’s Budget Implementation Team (2013-14) and also associates with CHED(Centre for Heritage Environment and Development-a division of Cochin Corporation).
Rail Analysis: What are the latest developments in Kochi in ref. to the City and its infrastructure?
Mr. George – The main developments pertaining to Kochi include;
- Commissioning of the new terminal (T3) of the CochinInternational Airport Ltd.
- Commencement of the metro rail services connecting Aluva and Palarivattom. This span of 16km is the first reach of the Kochi metro project. The work is progressing fine and will soon connect to MG Road and then to Thripunithura completing 25km line with 22 stations.
- Major units of BPCL-Kochi Refinery under Integrated Refinery Expansion Project (IREP) were commissioned to enhance the company’s refining capacity by six million tonnes.
- Public Sector Units like FACT, TCC (Travancore Cochin Chemicals Ltd., TRACO Cable and the Cochin Port Trust are on the revival phase and have already registered operational profit in the last FY.
Rail Analysis: How Kochi Metro proves itself to be a Game Changer for the Businesses? Also , How about the created along with the Metro ?
Mr. George – Apart from improving a city’s urban mobility quotient, a metro service is highly desirable for its development.In this regard, the Industry is all set to benefit from this mega project in the following ways,
- Will be helpful for the floating population (3 lakhs daily) travelling to Kochi
- A boost to the intra-city connectivity especially when Kochi Metro Rail Ltd. has plans to connect downtown areas to Kakkanad and Airport in the coming phases.
- The relatively lower operational cost of the City and availability of qualified man power are already attracting more Projects and Companies to Kochi and Metro Rail will improve connectivity and reduce travel time.
- Metro rail project will obviously supplement the tourist flow(both domestic and international) and thereby grow local businesses.
- The project has already generated significant number of jobs (both technical and soft services) and this will only go up in the coming months.
In short Kochi, being an economically developed City, the metro rail project will act as a game changer and elevate it to be a global business hub in next 5 years.
Regarding the Water Integrated Transport System, Kochi metro rail is leveraging the geographical advantage that Kochi has. The first phase of 76-km Water Metro Water Metro project is expected to become operational from 2019.Ths will make Kochi the first city with boat services connected to the metro network. Using Solar power boats will also make the project more appealing.
Rail Analysis: Do you think Kochi Metro will provide a boost to the IT development in Kerala?
Mr. George – Definitely yes.
IT in Kerala is mainly centred in Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. In Kochi, Infopark alone houses over 250 Companies with nearly 22,000 work force. Kochi metro rail in its next phase will reach Infopark which will enable IT employees to commute smoothly to work. Moreover, the metro culture will attract more Corporatesand IT work force from Tier 1 cities to Kochi.
Rail Analysis: Any suggestions for us?
Mr. George – Your magazine (e-version) looks great and the layout looks trendy. Social media pages also look promising and interactive.