Mr. Kumar Keshav
Managing Director, Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation
Shri Kumar Keshav, an IRSE (Indian Railway Service of Engineers) officer and a gold-medallist engineer from IIT- Kanpur (M.Tech) and IIT-Roorkee (B.E.), took over as Managing Director of the company on 18th August, 2014. As Director (Projects & Planning) at Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), he is credited with successfully completing and commissioning various projects in Delhi Metro.
As regards the Lucknow Metro Project, it is a dream which is being realised by him. Lucknow Metro is a dream project of the people of Uttar Pradesh which is being executed by Metro engineers under the leadership of Shri Kumar Keshav. Work for this project is going-on day and night without any break with the Managing Director leaving no stone unturned to see that the 8.5 km priority Metro corridor is commissioned for trial runs on 1st December, 2016 in just two years and two month period which is a record in itself, thereby achieving the distinction of being the fastest ever Metro project execution that has ever happened in the Country as stated by ‘Metro Man’ Dr. E. Sreedharan.
INTERVIEW With Mr. Kumar Keshav
Rail Analysis India : Please highlight the special features of Lucknow Metro for our global audience ? What makes it special ?
Mr. Kumar Keshav : By inaugurating the Metro for public on 5th September, 2017 – in a period of just less than three years, Lucknow Metro has created a world record and has earned the distinction of being the fastest Metro which has ever been implemented so far. The 8.5 km “Priority Corridor” of the North – South Metro Corridor (Phase 1A) between Transport Nagar & Charbagh consisting of eight elevated Metro stations has been completed in a very stiff time-frame. It’s been a landmark achievement in the history of Metro Rail Project execution which has set a new benchmark in Metro construction in the Country.
As of today, LMRC has been bestowed with many national and international awards and accolades. The following recognitions make the Lucknow Metro Project a ‘special’ among others:
- Special award for being the “Best Urban Mass Transit”, 2017 for its Phase 1A Project (North – South Corridor) by Urban Mobility India. This project was selected for award being the only Metro system in India to have completed the present operational phase within time-frame and with innovative contracting mechanism for rolling stock and signalling, which helped to deliver services before time.
- European Society for Quality Research (ESQR) Choice Prize Award in 2016 under the Gold category in Berlin (Germany). The European Society for Quality Research (ESQR) is an organisation headquartered in Lausanne (Switzerland). It is dedicated to quality improvement techniques, recognition and research. It recognises excellence, disseminates innovation and visionary thinking, spreads knowledge and shares conformity assessment practices.
- ‘International Quality Summit (IQS) Award’ 2016 under Gold Category by Business Initiative Directions (BID) Group One – an international organization involved in promoting quality culture, innovation and excellence – headquartered in Madrid, Spain. Lucknow Metro was awarded for maintaining highest quality standards in project execution while being the fastest Metro Project being executed in the country.
Special Award for Best Urban Mass Transit Project
- Best Metro project for ‘Excellence in Innovative Designs’ in 2016 for its unique features incorporated for Metro Stations. The award “Excellence in Green & Sustainable Build” was given by ITP Publishing Group to LMRC in wake of the sustainable and green construction methodology/practices being followed during civil construction throughout the Metro project in Lucknow.The Metro Stations and the Transport Nagar Metro Depot have been designed and built as ‘Green’ buildings in accordance with the standards of the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC). The Lucknow Metro Stations have received ‘Platinum’ certification on 31st August, 2017 in this regard. This is the highest green rating that has been awarded to the Metro structures.
- LMRC is an ISO 14001: 2015& OHSAS 18001: 2007 certified organization in recognition of its integrated management system which complies with the ISO & OHSAS standards and requirements.
Lucknow Metro Rolling Stock
- Dun & Bradstreet Infra Award, 2017 in the Metro Rail category for completing the 8.5 km “Priority Corridor” of the North –South Corridor (Phase 1A) and commissioning the project in a record time of less than three year.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial Award on Innovation in Governance in 2016 for the company’s sincere effort and dedication in innovation in governance and project completion at a national level.
To Read Full Interview, Check our Latest InnoTrans 2018 Magazine – Click Here